IS SCAR TATTOO THE SAME AS SCAR CAMOUFLAGE?
- Micropigmentation uses pigments, while tattooing uses inks. Pigments produce a more natural colour than ordinary tattoo inks. It aims to mimic the colour of your natural skin tone.
- Traditional tattooing goes deeper into the skin compared to micropigmentation. As a result, micropigmentation is less painful as compared to tattoo.
- At Piel, we use micro needles that are made in Germany for all micropigmentation treatments so they are more fine than tattoo needles. This allows the pigments to be injected through micro incision points, resulting in a more subtle and natural colouring.
- Micropigmentation is less permanent than tattooing. Micropigmentation is considered a semi-permanent cosmetic procedure, as its results tend to last from several months to a few years, while traditional tattooing typically lasts a lifetime.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Scar Camouflage is applicable for people with:
- Previous injury and accident
- Most of us would have experienced at least one childhood fall/injury that may result in scarring. Sometimes these scars are left on the facial skin and may not fade as we grow up, which can affect our self-esteem due to our appearance.
- Burn patients
- Trauma from burns may be the hardest to move on from, as it can be a severely painful experience. Scar camouflage can help burn patients ease the physical, mental and emotional burden of dealing with such an experience, and help them be more comfortable in their own skin.
- Undergo previous surgery (i.e. lips, breast, scalp and other parts of the body)
- Breast augmentation is usually done in different types of incision- axillary, periareolar and inframammary fold. Some women are prone to scarring and have prominent scars left behind after 1-2 years.
- Neurosurgery/head surgery often results in a scar on the scalp and the hair will no longer grow in this area due to the integrity of the skin. Due to personal preference, some patients will opt for a hair transplant and some would prefer a scalp micropigmentation.
- Skin imperfections
- Scar Camouflage is not only for scars, as it can also be applied for birthmarks and other skin imperfections.
- Patients who have undergone cleft palate surgery
- Cleft palate surgery often leaves a light scar above the upper lip of the patient. Scar camouflage treatment can be applied to remove any visible trace of the surgery.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN UNDERGOING SCAR CAMOUFLAGE?
All paramedical micropigmentation procedures take at least 2 treatments. This may also vary depending on the condition of the skin.
- To ensure that the pigment on the skin has fully stabilized and healed, treatments must be scheduled 6 to 8 weeks apart.
Clients with scars from injuries, burns, and surgeries must wait at least 1 year for the scars to fully heal.
Scars or skin imperfections must not show signs of visible redness or irritation before the procedure.
- Not all scars are suitable for this treatment. Scars must have a lighter skin-tone than the surrounding skin, and must not be too deep or too elevated.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: How long does it normally take?
A: For Scar Camouflage, it may take as quick as 30 minutes, but this may also vary depending on the size, location, and nature of the scar. Clients will be assessed by the PMU artist before the procedure.
Q: Is it safe?
A: We at Piel pride ourselves on using top of the line paramedical tattooing devices and disposable sterile needles made from Germany. We only use pigments that are free of iron oxide and heavy metals, imported all the way from Switzerland. All of our paramedical makeup artists are certified and trained in the highest industry standards.
Q: Is it painful?
A: It is usually not painful as this is a non-invasive treatment, but this may also depend on the area of the skin and upon the pain-tolerance of the patient. At Piel, we use only premium products from Swiss Color International which is well-known for their iron oxide and heavy metal-free pigments. Because we are using high-quality products and devices, our techniques are different which makes the patient feel comfortable during the treatment.
Q: How Much Does It Cost?
A: The cost of scar camouflage per session ranges from $290 and above depending on the size, area, and the complexity of the treatment.